Pros and Cons of Composition Roof Shingles
If you are a homeowner in the Napa area who is researching roofing systems, there are many different types of roofing materials available in the industry today. A composition shingle roof can offer a reasonable and attractive choice.
While not as durable as some other roofing materials, a composition shingle roof will provide good protection with a great look at a substantial savings from other roofing systems. Composition roof shingles, otherwise known as asphalt shingles, are the most popular materials used on homes today. They can be a durable and cost effective solution for your home.
Composition shingles can be either fiberglass or an organic compound which has been covered by asphalt, then coated with a mixture of schist, quartz, mica, slate ceramic, or stone. The back of the shingles are treated with talc, mica, or sand to prevent them from sticking to each other. They can be found in a number of different configurations, textures, thicknesses, and colors. Your local Napa roofers will typically have a complete array of styles and colors to choose from.
- The greatest advantage to a composition shingle roof is its affordability. Many homeowners who may not plan on being in the home for a long time will choose this option for their roofing.
- Composition roofing offers great ease of installation. They are quick and easy to install as well as tear out.
- Composition shingles are extremely versatile and can be used on homes of any shape and style.
- A composition shingle roof is cost effective, durable and can last for many years. Constructed of quality materials, composition shingles are made to withstand a huge spectrum of weather conditions. That is why they are used throughout the United States in most types of climate.
- Each shingle is treated with additives that will keep it from surface damage and algae growth. The granules on top of the shingles assist in deflecting the sun’s UV rays.
- Fiberglass based shingles are fire resistant.
- Depending on the style of shingle, they can withstand a reasonable amount of wind uplift.
- A composition shingle roof will have a lifespan of around 20 years.
Although reasonable, versatile, and requiring little maintenance, there are some disadvantages to a composition shingle roof. Your local roofing contractor in Napa will be able to discuss many of these drawbacks with you.
- The impact of anything, including tree limbs and hail, can break or crack composition shingles. This can lead to roof leaks and water intrusion.
- The small granules that cover each shingle can be dislodged in inclement weather.
- Excess sun exposure and trapped moisture can cause shingles to break down prematurely.
- Their lifespan can be shortened by other factors. Homes that don’t have proper ventilation in the attic can see an early breakdown of composition shingles. . Asphalt shingles are more prone to damage if installed at low temperatures.
- Composition shingles can begin to crack and lose their color in extremely hot areas of the country.
- Last but certainly not least, composition shingles are petroleum based and not particularly environmentally friendly.
If you are looking to replace your existing roofing in Napa, or are building a new home and are looking for professional roofers, call the experts at Modern Method Roofing Company. We are committed to your satisfaction and have been in the area for over 63 years. We offer a full spectrum of roofing systems for any need and budget.
I think about your company
every time the rains come.
You guys did a good job.
Thanks for the gutter guards.
I'd recommend you to everyone. Thank God for Modern Method Roofing!
- Judy Moore
Modern Method Roofing,
for more than 60 years