Choosing Metal Roofing for Your Home
Roofing Contractors in Napa, CA Share the Pros and Cons of Metal Roofing Installations
The metal roof trend doesn’t seem to be slowing down. Due to its popularity, many homeowners are considering having their own metal roofing systems installed. While this is mainly due to their trendiness, these roofs also have many benefits not immediately obvious to those not in the know. Let’s first start with exactly what these metal roofing systems are before moving on to a discussion of their benefits.
What Are Metal Roofing Systems?
In addition to being immensely popular (metal roofing systems are currently the second most popular style of roof after traditional asphalt shingles), metal roofs just look cool.
While many people think of those old fashioned corrugated tin roofs seen on antique barns, metal roofs have evolved significantly over time. They can now be purchased with almost any customization the homeowner can dream up, with more than 100 colors and hues. Metal roofing systems also come in different shapes and a choice of the type of metal used, including aluminum, copper, galvanized steel, and zinc.
The Perks of Metal Roofing Installation
- Durability: Metal roofs are as popular as they are mainly due to how incredibly durable and long-lasting they are. In ordinary circumstances, a metal roofing system can last up to 60 years. This is nearly three times the lifespan of one made from asphalt shingles. Metal roofs are also far more durable, proven to withstand high winds of up to 140 miles per hour.
- Energy-Efficiency: Metal roofs naturally absorb both heat and cold, which significantly reduces the home’s electricity and gas bills. This difference can be up to 25%.
- Environmentally Friendly: These roofs are also far more environmentally friendly than anything else currently on the market. When compared with asphalt shingles, which are created out of petroleum using fossil fuels, the difference is clear.
Why A Metal Roof May Not Be Right for You
- Costly Installation: There isn’t a way around the fact that a metal roofing system is costly to install, sometimes up to 10 times more costly than asphalt shingles. When combined with labor costs, this can put a lot of homeowners off. Over time, though, metal roofs more than pay for themselves in increased home value and decreased power bills.
- Potentially Noisy: While many homeowners state they like the calming sound of rain falling on a tin roof, this can be a deal-breaker for some people. Insulation can be placed between the ceiling and the roof to dampen a lot of the potential noisiness.
- Dentable: Yes, metal roofs can be dented. However, it takes a significant act of force (like a large piece of hail or a falling tree branch) to do that. This also depends on the type of metal chosen for the roof, so areas with more severe weather may need a sturdier metal.
After deciding that a metal roof is right or with any questions, contact an experienced roofing company like Modern Method Roofing. It’s incredibly important that someone with the right experience perform any installation so that it is done right the first time.
About Modern Method Roofing
In business for more than 60 years, Modern Method Roofing is located in Napa, California. They offer a full range of roofing systems as well as the installation of solar panels and walking decks. Modern Method Roofing maintains superior standards and responsible customer service and promises truth, honesty, and fairness. Their office can be reached at (707) 255-8090.
I think about your company
every time the rains come.
You guys did a good job.
Thanks for the gutter guards.
I'd recommend you to everyone. Thank God for Modern Method Roofing!
- Judy Moore
Modern Method Roofing,
for more than 60 years