Everything You Need to Know About Roof Cleaning, But Were Afraid to Ask
Napa, California-based roofing contractors share tips on keeping a clean roof.
Roofing Maintenance and Tips for a Clean Roof
The roof is perhaps one of the most neglected parts of the home when it comes to cleaning and maintenance. Unless there is a roof leak, people may not think there is anything wrong with their roof. But a reputable roofing company knows that they need to examine a roof before it gets to the point that it needs roof leak repair. Having a clean roof is just as important to roof maintenance as a roof inspection. Read on to find out more.
Frequency of Cleaning
Roofs should be inspected twice a year, and they are best done in the spring and fall. By this same measure, cleaning should happen just as frequently. If debris is allowed to remain on the roof, there can be some very bad results.
The Issues that Result from Dirty Roofing
Allowing leaves, branches and other detritus can cause problems with both residential and commercial roofing. Some of these problems are listed below:
- Dams: Leaves and branches can create areas where water can pool and may cause roof damage.
- Water Damage: The aforementioned dams allow water to soak in which can cause not only discoloration but also structural damage.
- Moss: This growth and lift up roofing shingles and eat away at certain roofing types, causing leaks.
- Warping: This can happen due to water damage, heat, and storm damage. It also may be indicative of age.
- Mold and Mildew: These can thrive from underneath wet organic material. They can not only cause degradation of the roof, these microbes can be harmful to the health of the household as well.
Obviously, a roof needs to be cleaned and maintained just as any other part of the home does. Homeowners should not wait until they need a roofing repair or roofing replacement to get their roof taken care of.
Cleaning Roofing, the How’s and the What’s
Some basic advice for roof cleaning is that it should be done twice a year, in mild weather such as the spring or fall. This prevents damage that can be aided and abetted by the extreme temperatures that come in the summer and winter.
The best and most important steps are:
- Removing branches, leaves,and other natural biotrash from the roof itself, and
- Trimming trees back from the roof to prevent storm damage and collection of falling leaves.
When it comes to cleaning there are more don’t’s than do’s. A few of these are listed below.
- Avoid pressure washing as this can damage most roofing types.
- Do not use bleach or ammonia cleaners.
- Do not proceed without knowing your roofing material.
Using household cleaning products is likely to either damage the roof or do no good when it comes to removing moss and other types of growth. Though a watered-down bleach mixture is sometimes recommended for moss, mold, and mildew, a homeowner should know what their roof is made of before determining a home remedy.
There are cleaners out there that are made especially for roofs and can be easily applied.
About Modern Method Roofing
Offering competitive bidding and senior discounts, Modern Method Roofing provides excellent craftsmanship and customer service to Napa, CA and the surrounding areas. Call today for a free estimate.
I think about your company
every time the rains come.
You guys did a good job.
Thanks for the gutter guards.
I'd recommend you to everyone. Thank God for Modern Method Roofing!
- Judy Moore
Modern Method Roofing,
for more than 60 years