Roof Leaks: The Best Ways of Finding and Repairing Water Damage to Your Roof
Roofing contractors of Napa, California provide tips for dealing with roof leaks
Homeowners Should Take Care of Leaks Quickly to Avoid Collateral Damage
Roofing makes the difference between a house and an open box. A sound roof is vital to the proper function of the home. Though they are made of resilient materials that are meant to withstand most weather, leaks do sometimes occur, whether due to unexpected sudden damage(like a tree branch falling or a lightning strike) or general wear and tear(most roofs are guaranteed for 20 years or so).
This article will detail how to find a leak and how to take care of the problem. Whether this is a DIY project or a roofing replacement that needs a professional roofing company depends on how quickly the leak is discovered and how big the problem is.
Act Fast: If You Find a Leak, Take Quick Action
Once a homeowner starts seeing a leak in a living space ceiling, there may already be significant damage. Water has to soak through several layers of insulation and drywall in order to come through a ceiling. If the ceiling has begun to drip, a homeowner should never ignore it.
Allowing the drip to go unchecked can cause structural damage, but the more immediate problem is mold growth. Mold and mildew love warm wet places to breed and grow.
Many types of mold can cause serious health issues and can even be deadly. Drying out the leak as soon as possible can prevent the occurrence of mold and can keep unsightly discoloration and structural damage to a minimum.
Roof Inspection: Finding the Source of the Leak
Though cleaning up water may be a tedious job, it is not necessarily a difficult one. Finding the spot where water is coming in may not be so simple.
There are three major possibilities for the source:
- Roof damage: If you are in need of a roof repair or roofing replacement due to the age of your roof or to severe storm damage, this can be the cause of the leak. Either there is a gap in the roofing, such as shingles being blown off, or a puncture in said shingles. This can sometimes be repaired with a patch, but other times the whole roof may need to be replaced.
- Pipe Leaks: Another source of water can be from pipes. It is fairly simple to determine if a leak is coming from the household pipes because a homeowner can watch their water meter with all outlets turned off to see if water is still being used.
- Condensation: Metal pipes with cold water can run through a hot, humid attic space and the moisture can condense on these cooler pipes. This can be difficult to detect, and after cleanup, insulating or replacing old pipes may be necessary.
Roofing Repair: How to Do Proper Roofing Maintenance and Fix Leaks
If finding the leak is proving difficult, it’s time to call in the professionals. They have the tools to find and fix the problem. In the meantime, however, cleaning up the affected area is very important.
If you are able to find the leak, cover it, but then make sure to take the following steps:
- Remove any sodden insulation.
- Use a wet/dry vac to clean up any visible water.
- Deploy fans to help dry out the space.
- If any carpet is affected, it should be replaced as mold growth is almost guaranteed.
About Modern Method Roofing
Serving Napa, CA and the surrounding communities, Modern Method Roofing has been in business for more than 60 years. Our methods are time-tested and customer approved. If you are considering a new roof or solar panels, call us today to request a free estimate.
I think about your company
every time the rains come.
You guys did a good job.
Thanks for the gutter guards.
I'd recommend you to everyone. Thank God for Modern Method Roofing!
- Judy Moore
Modern Method Roofing,
for more than 60 years