Make Your Roof Last A Lifetime With Proper Maintenance
Roofing contractors of California share tips on caring for and maintaining a roof.
Stop Roof Leaks Before They Start With These Tips
Everyone would love it if their roof could last forever. Most asphalt roofs last 25 years; slate and cedar shake roofs last for 100 years or more. But disasters happen that can damage roofing and force an owner to get roof repair. Most damage, though, comes from long exposure and neglect. This is why care and maintenance are so important. The roof protects the rest of the house and damage there can trickle down to cause problems throughout the home. This article will share the best ways to get the most out of your roof.
Tip #1: Keep The Roof Clean
While there are many roofing types, nearly all roofs occasionally get covered with debris, such as dead leaves and broken branches. Snow is another natural occurrence that can have an impact on a roof. The basic principle here is that when there are things on the roof, they shouldn’t stay there for long. Watching for damage is another step in maintenance. Guttering, soffit, and eaves should also be cleaned and inspected for damage, as this can indicate problems for the roof.
Below is a list of ways to help keep your roof tidy.
- Keep the roof clear of dead leaves and branches
- Keep trees trimmed back and away from the roof
- Remove snow from the roof to prevent ice dams which can cause damage
- Check for and remove moss growth which can push up roofing tiles.
- Check for and remove mildew growth.
- Inspect for broken or damaged shingles
- Keep gutters clean
- Inspect the eaves and soffit for damage or vulnerabilities
Tip #2: Insulate and Ventilate
Roofs take a beating from the various types of weather in a given area. It can, however, be protected from extreme temperature changes from the underside. Using insulation and ventilation to help maintain low temperatures in the attic can also prevent damage to the roof.
- Insulation: Verifying that the attic is properly insulated can prevent problems of ice dams in the winter and bubbling asphalt in the summer heat. Additionally, insulation can make a home’s heating and cooling more efficient, saving money on energy bills.
- Ventilation: Having vents installed in an attic or roof space not only helps regulate temperature but it also allows moisture to escape instead of building up. Trapped moisture can cause structural damage as well as provide a breeding ground for the 3 m’s: mold, mildew, and moss.
- Caulking: Using caulking around flashing can help prevent water damage.
Tip #3: Call a Professional Roofer for a Roof Inspection
If you are actually concerned about the state of your roof, then calling in a professional will always be a good move. A reputable roofing company can not only identify a problem but can provide solutions. If roofing replacement or roof leak repair is needed, it should be done by a trained professional. This prevents mistakes and compounding problems
About Modern Method Roofing
Locally owned and with 63 years in the business, Modern Method Roofing serves the people of Napa, CA and the surrounding areas. Our 12-year workmanship guarantee is the best in the business. Call or visit online today for a free estimate.
I think about your company
every time the rains come.
You guys did a good job.
Thanks for the gutter guards.
I'd recommend you to everyone. Thank God for Modern Method Roofing!
- Judy Moore
Modern Method Roofing,
for more than 60 years
5.0 out of 5.0 based on 4 Positive Review(s)